Welcome to Angela Rudy Cookies, formerly known as Oh, Sugar! Events. We specialize in hand-decorated sugar cookies to make your event feel truly special. So put your feet up and stay awhile as you browse our site for inspiration from our latest projects.

In the market for a couple dozen show stopping favors? Please contact Angela Rudy Cookies for a custom quote. Enjoy!
Email: angelarudycookies@gmail.com

Monday, September 3, 2012

Give 'Em The Old Razzle-Dazzle

Oh my god.  This set of cookies was a nightmare.  Night. Mare. At one point I really considered throwing them out and starting again because I was running into so many problems. But since this was a last minute order and I had about a day and a half to get 4 dozen done, that wasn't even an option.  I had to make them work.   How?  Smoke and mirrors, my friend.  Smoke and mirrors. Wondering what I'm talking about?  See for yourself.

I don't know if it's the summer heat or what but recently I've been running into a lot of nasty surprise in my icing like color bleeding and sunken sections.  I use a heat gun on all of my cookies (my favorite crutch) which gives me virtually crater free cookies with a nice sheen, but even after using my trusty tool I still had cookies with crazy collapsed sections.  And the color bleed.  My god, the color bleed.  One second we're good to go and 10 minutes later the darker colors start seeping into my sweet baby pinks.  What to do?!  This looks terrible!  I'm not exaggerating.  Take a gander.
I decided not to freak and see what I could do to salvage them. That song from the musical "Chicago" kept running through my head: "Give 'em the old razzle-dazzle.  Razzle-dazzle them." And as I started to add more detailing and sparkle, they started to take shape and my eye was pulled away from all of their flaws. These might actually turn out ok! See what some simple outlining and a lot of disco dust can do to turn your cookie disasters into cookie triumphs.
Imagine the initial frustration times 24!
Coordinating Minnie minis.

4 comments:

  1. Color bleed is the WORST!!!! The sparkle was just what they needed. If your customer doesn't read this blog, I bet she will never know. and BTW - ADORABLE cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the pictures just about made me have a sympathetic panic attack! You are fabulous to have saved them. There is absolutely nothing worse that glancing over and seeing things like magically appearing :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You saved the day! Minnie is darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I will post it asap! Best - Angela Rudy Cookies